Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How To: Use a Paper Trimmer

Are you confused by certain measurements when you see them? Having a good paper trimmer will help you, I promise. Always make sure you have the paper snug and straight against the top ruler portion to ensure accurate cuts.

Make sure you have a paper trimmer with an arm that swings out. It can cut 12 x 12 sheets of paper. Fiskars is the brand I would recommend, personally.
I'm making these pictures pretty big, so you can see the details I've added
Add caption
Some examples of measurements and where they are found.

Once you get familiar with your paper trimmer, it's very quick and easy to use. Don't let little-known measurements scare you!

Making your trimmer last forever - TIPS!
Buy replacement blades from Stampin' Up, Michaels, etc. When you cut paper and it burrs the edge a little, instead of a perfect crisp cut, it's time for a new blade.

After much use, my lettering/numbering etc on the main base of the board began to fade and wear off. I took a sheet of sticky rub on laminate (I happened to have had this on hand from years ago), and covered this area (the silver part), and them trimmed to precision with a hobby blade. The printing on the trimmer is now protected, and it should last forever!

I have marked popular cuts on my trimmer with a Sharpie. Right on the ruler part. I have a dot right at the 5.5 mark, which is the most common cut you'll make with homemade cards. It's easy for your eye to see that spot and you never accidentally cut it a 1/4" too small or large!

No comments: